Monday, September 1, 2008

State of Emergency

So if you have been watching the news, yes, there is a political coup of sorts happening in Thailand. A movement here is against some of the Prime Ministers choices/alliances and they are basically protesting corruption which is of course rampant in just about any developing or 3rd world country. These are places where you can have anything for the right price. The airports are closed and many schools are closed and Rail travel is a bit sketchy. An official "State of Emergency" has been declared and so the military is being given charge to subdue demonstrators but so far all the violence is between Thai political factions or goverment and no foreigners or travellers have been harmed (though we are all staying well out of the way of any chaos). I was planning to continue on with my travels this weekend as my Thai visa will expire soon but I may have to change directions depending on the state of my choices for means of travel (I may not be able to fly anywhere this week) I am not in Bangkok so most of the action is away from where I am, but it is still a little freaky. Businesses are doing strange things too, like some buses who were told they couldn't raise the prices recently by the goverment, have taken advantage of the chaos to do just that....I have LOTS of friends who are frustrated and stuck with missed / canceled flights but that seems to be the worst of it so far.....we are being told to expect some blackouts and already the water has been shut off a couple times (strange retaliation by goverment??) and so I may truly be living a mideaval life soon if the power is cut I will have no phone or internet......I am fine, Love you all, will keep you posted as I can :)

No comments: